Thursday, February 15, 2007

 

Goodbye Dear, Old, Companion

Eighteen years ago I stepped out onto my porch. There to greet me was this lovely, fluffy, little, black, long-haired feline with a white stripe running right down the center of her nose. "You look like a skunk," I said to her. That day was the start of a wonderful friendship with my new cat Skunky.

When I met her I already had my buddies Stikes, Sharky, Murphy, Binkerbean, and Crisco. Shortly after Skunky joined the crew Binkerbean succumbed to Feline FIV. We then added Batly and Kitten to the mix. Yes. There were seven of these fluffly, little, whisker-laden creatures. Throughout the years I have said tearful and heart felt goodbyes to Stikes, Sharky, Murphy, Crisco, Kitten and Batly. But joining the crew, throughout the years, have been Winky, Businessman, Eena and Meatloaf. I know, I know. It's not apparent my sheer love of the feline beast, huh? Actually, I just love animals, but I've just sort of been adopted by cats as time has passed. Or you can just call me what my vet calls me . . . "a softie." (He always tells me that in his next life he wants to come back as one of my cats. That's a huge compliment from a veterinarian, huh?)

Last year I had to say good bye to Eena. My big, fluffy, mild-mannered, long-haired, orange tabby cat. You would think that because I've been through the whole process of taking each and every one of them to the vet, petting them tearfully as they get the injection, scratching behind their little ears while telling them, "I love you. You've been a good friend and companion. I'll miss you. Good bye, my dear, sweet little friend," that I would have developed some sort of thick skin, wouldn't you? But. No. I. Have. Not.

Every single one of them has touched my heart in a unique way. I've loved every single one of them and it's hard every damned time. Today was not easy. Today I had to say good bye to my dear, fluffy, old, little Skunky girl and I sobbed and have been sobbing like the biggest baby ever known to creation. She was feisty, adorable, affectionate. She was a talker and she loved to swat at the other cats when they got in her way. If you were petting her and you took your hand away she would reach out with her paw to grab your hand as if to say, "Hey. You're not done with this petting thing." She was a character and a half. We had some really tough times, like when she got so sick that I had to tube feed her for a month, but mostly we just had sweet, wonderful, snuggly times.

I feel blessed and honored that eighteen years ago she chose to adopt me. It's been a pleasure to live in her home. It's filled my heart to help her in tough times and to laugh at her crazy little kitty cat antics. She made my journey here on Earth a more enjoyable one. I'm going to miss my little Skunky girl.

Comments:
Aww! I'm sorry the little furperson kicked it. They're too damned cute to die - the universe is a cruel, cruel place.

Then again, it's probably cruel to name them things like Meatloaf, too.


You're the second person in a month who has lost a kitty. I'm going to keep Strahd locked in the bedroom until this trend passes. We're gonna need a bigger litterbox (in my best New England accent)!
 
Thanks, Alex. It just sucks. My eyes are so swollen right now.

Btw, Meatloaf came to my home with that horrible, horrible moniker.
I take NO responsibility for that.
I've taken to calling her Treaterton. = )
 
Sharon,
I too have a little graveyard on the side of my house by a horse field. We just buried Konky (Skunky) out there today. There's fresh flowers on her grave. It IS heartbreaking to say goodbye. They're fine little companions, they're such a part of your life and they're part of the family. Thank you for the kind words. You're always so very sweet. A big hug to you.
 
As much trouble as Wilbur gives me I am going to bawl buckets when she goes. I am really sorry for your loss, Thingy.

I think it is so cool she had a very long life. I am sure it was extended because of having a rockin' owner.

HUGS.
 
Dammit, LL! I heard the phone ring when you called tonight. I was soaking in a hot tub. It's been a hard, hard day today.

Thank you for your kind words about Konky. I know what you mean about the "pain in the ass" part because they can be, but they touch your heart and soul so deeply that you even miss the "pain in the ass" part when they're gone. I'm sooooo very happy that she almost got to 18 and she did have a very nice life.

Love you. xxxooo
 
That's so sad but 18 years is a very long life for a cat. She's very luck to have had you in return because so many don't.

I'm very attached to dogs in the same way, which is why that song that I linked to on my blog hit me so much.
 
Oh Dougie. I was just at your blog and there is no way in hell that I'll even attempt to listen to that song right now. I've cried enough for today.

And you're right. Konky lived 18 years and had a wonderful life. Even my vet said that he wished all his clients cats lived that long.

I think that we're blessed in our love for creatures. They bring so much happiness along with their little wagging tails and thier furry, purriness.
 
You know I understand what you're going through! The consolation is, indeed, that you provided her with a wonderful home, and she provided you with wonderful companionship. That is a deal negotiated directly with God (or the Universe or whatever you want to call it/her).

xo
 
Barry,
I sure do know how you understand.
As a matter of fact, I thought about you and Odin when I was writing this post yesterday. And you are SO right about the deal with them and us negotiated by God.
Love you. xxxooo
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?