Wednesday, October 11, 2006

 

History Mid-term

Yep. Next Wednesday is our first history mid-term and....well.....I AM FREAKED OUT! I AM FREAKED OUT! (hyperventilates while eye twitches) I AM FREAKED OUT! FREAKED! (hyperventilates) YES, FREAKED OUT!

I don't know if I made myself clear at the beginning of this post, but I'm a bit stressed about the history midterm. I cannot explain to the teacher how my 9-year-old child sucks every last healthy brain cell out of my head. I cannot explain to her that I can barely find my keys or my glasses let alone remember why the Stamp Act was put into use. I cannot explain to her that everyone else just got out of high school and remembers all of this and that I haven't been to high school for "mumble, mumble" years!

50% of the grade will be on the multiple choice questions which I will probably do all right on. The other 50% will be on one of three essay questions (we won't know which one until the day of the exam.) I'm just going to have to do LOTS and LOTS of studying over the next few days........

I'll be happy if I walk away with a C. I'll let you know how it turns out......(she said shakily while trying not to hyperventilate once again.)

Comments:
Sharon....you always have the right things to say. Thank you for the support. It means a lot to me. HUGS!
 
No, no. Don't stress! You'll do just fine. Multiple choice on a college exam is just, well, WRONG, but I'm sure you'll do fantastic. As for the essay - I discovered over the course of my schooling that for things like exam essays, you don't actually need to know any facts. Just make sure you know what the broad themes are that tie together whatever period you're studying and then the rest is, well, bullshitting, quite frankly. Not that I think you're a good bullshitter (are you?) but I think you'll kick ass. Like Sharon says, you clearly know how to write well, so no worries!
 
Okay, never, never listen to a scientist when it comes to taking history exams. To wit: Bull and Cow: an essay treating the art of making shit up.

Any decent history prof will check you know the historical trends, and what forces came together to contribute to the situation in question, it's true. But a good professor will also make sure you're peppering your essay with concrete details, relevant examples, so they know you are able to support your theories. Otherwise, it just looks like you're pulling a thesis from thin air.


Anyhoo, history was one of my majors as an undergrad. Let me know if you want to do an MSN study group this weekend, or something. I'll dust off the old American History flashcards (yeah, I'm a dork; and yeah, I saved all of my flashcards from my freshman survey courses).

Oh, and no laughing that I made flashcards. I could still tell you in 2000 words or less the salient issues leading up to the implementation of any American colonial act derived from British mercantilist policy, without having to Google anything.

Not that this will ever help me get a job. =)
 
my mom used to share babysitting duties with other moms in the neighborhood to allow for rest and relaxation...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?