Wednesday, August 09, 2006

 

Off To School With Ya!

Okay. I am SOOOOOOO excited. I'm going back to community college this fall! Working towards getting my Associates degree. What's really terrific is that it is one of the top community colleges in California. And believe me you (I've always wanted to say that) we have a lot of community colleges in California! I feel so blessed to live within close proximity to this particular college.

Anyway, today the small child and I spent the afternoon on campus taking care of some things. I felt soooo student like. (I just had to pretend that the small child was a teeny, tiny co-ed strolling along with me....it was hard at moments....like for instance, when he was singing the "Star Wars" game boy theme at the top of his lungs or when he was jumping around like a monkey and repeating the phrase, "I'm hungry!" every 5 seconds or, for that matter, when he was interuppting me and the counselor....yeah....we're still working on the interuppting thing I say ashamedly....to alert the counselor that he was getting a hair cut today and to ask her if she thought that he looked like a twelve year old instead of a nine year old.....although.....I have a feeling that I've just described some "real life" co-eds....just replace the "twelve year old & nine year old" part with "twenty one year old & nineteen year old"!)

Okay, so first, we met up with my re-entry counselor. She was so amazing. A very special woman and I glad that I got to meet her today. She touched my heart with some amazing, spiritual "life" experiences that she's had! After we chatted we got down to school biz. Added a class (Child Development) and dropped a class (History of Jazz). So.....this semester I'm taking:

Psychology 1A
History of the United States
English 1A
Child Development

Ooooooooh! Do I not sound like a scholarly scholar??

Next, we were off to the Financial Aid office. My tuition will be paid for this semester because I am sooooo poverty level broke......so cool! (Ahem! Not the poverty level broke part.)

When we were finished there, the teeny tiny co-ed and I mosied over to the scholarship office.
Grabbed a bunch of fliers, pamphlets and catalogues containing information on how "you too can have many, many scholarships and grants."

Then it was off to the Career Center to purchase some tests to help me figure out "what I want to be when I grow up." I took a Career Counseling class last week-end (got 1 unit & an A+...YAY!) to help me hone in on a major. Of course, my test scores in the class were off the charts for anything artistic and creative (i.e. singer, actress, writer, comedian, cartoonist.....DUH!) so I had to look at what came up next on some of the tests for me. Not suprisingly, they were pretty much all altruistic careers (i.e......isn't this little "i.e." thingy handy? ....Anyway.....i.e. any type of therapist, counselor, teacher, psychologist, and, I had to save the best for last cause Thing One is gonna flip at this one.....SPEECH PATHOLOGIST!)

I'm leaning majorly (ha! Get it? ha! "majorly?"...."majorly?"....MAJOR...and Thing One thinks she's the bigger dork!) towards family counseling and a little towards teaching small children. I was very interested in Speech Pathology but I found out today that I would have to take classes all the way in Sacra-tomato. Too far. (You would think that Sonoma State or San Francisco State would offer courses.....would you not?? I mean.....the Bay Area being the bustling metropolis that it is?) As far as counseling and/or teaching goes....well...I'm just gonna have to spend some time researching and doing some interviewing of folks in these occupations. Stay tuned and see how it all unfolds!

Well.....that was my day....so exciting.....a new path....new people.....new ideas....knowledge. Wow! I can't wait..... Oh yeah! And my son did get a hair cut!

Comments:
I know, Sharon, I know! I might have to get some advice from you.
I just feel so committed to doing it this time. NOT like my 20's!
Do you manage OK?
 
Okay, so I know I'm gonna sound like a huge nerd, but I always looked forward to starting school in the fall (and not only because I hate summer weather and it meant summer was finally going away). It's exciting! I hope you have fun in your classes. They sound really great! Especially history...I'm a big history fan. Okay, I'm jealous now. :D
 
MM.

You are so not sounding like a nerd! I totally, totally feel the same way about school starting. If that makes us nerds....well...
then....so be it! : )
 
HEE HEE! You would be a great speech pathologist. It is so fascinating. I loved studying it. I am disappointed that I had to bail on college, but my plate was just too full.

Maybe I will actually use the 400 semester credits that I have and manage to get a freaking piece of paper out of it!!!

:) I am so exicted for you babe
 
Let me know if you need homework help. I double-majored in history and english (creative and professional writing) as an undergrad.

I'm excited on your behalf, now. It's funny - I've been so bogged down with forms and tele-conferences and contacting advisors that I haven't even gotten excited for myself yet. Two weeks, and I'll be back in school, too!

Savor every moment of it, CLL! College life is like Frosted Flakes (GRRRREAT!). Maybe you'll meet a hot young stud taking fireman training, or something. Woot!
 
If Loralee gets a hot young stud in fireman training, then I want one too. You gotta share the wealth!
 
Are you telling me there are no firemen in Philly? Maybe you should move to Pittsburgh - there're plenty of big, ornery steelworkers there.
 
proud of ya, Loralee! i need to get motivated myself, so this is good, you will be my role model...
 
Melisa....
I love ya!
Me
 
love ya toooo!!!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?